|Map produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information
Group Ltd and Ordnance Survey
Newtown (Highcliffe) High Street, circa 1900
(courtesy of Shirley Millie)
Here is the History Overleaf
In 1888 Frampton's P.O. and General Store was the only shop in 'Newtown' as Highcliffe was then known and the family had an interest in windmills. On the site adjacent to the garage in the picture now stands the Methodist Church on land donated by Mr. Frampton. Prior to 1914 hard flint stones and tarmac gave the main shopping area a firm surface, whilst either side remained country tracks.